Mikaila Donaldson (class ’21)
- Fall 2018 to Fall 2020: Honors College Team Leader – Closely mentored a group of freshmen honors college students during their time in the honors forum. Guided post-class conversations, graded students’ writing, and supported students in the 14 Grand Challenges for Engineering in the 21st Century project.
- Spring 2018 to Fall 2020: ResLife Front Desk Secretary – Responsible for monitoring resident security through proper guest sign-in and awareness of protocol and surroundings. Supports students’ general well being by helping them receive mail by correctly logging and sorting, as well as helping them check out rentable items.
- Summer 2020: Orientation Peer Advisor – Guided incoming university freshmen and transfer students, as well as their families, in the orientation experience at UMBC by helping them sign up for classes, showing them the university, and related tasks to prepare them for success.
Sophie Shippe (class ’21)
- Fall 2017- Present: Grit Guide in The Office of Undergraduate Admissions and Orientation – The main responsibilities included office work, giving tours, and answering question. Sophie also gave regularly scheduled Black and Gold Tours and special events tours.
Sam Adebesin (class ’21)
- Fall 2020: Managing Editor (Editorial), The Retriever
Lily Lafemina (class ’21)
- February 2020 to Present: Production Assistant for UMBC’s newspaper, The Retriever. Created editorial illustrations and assisted with newspaper layout design.
- Fall 2018 to Present: Front Office Assistant at UMBC’s Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships. Assists students and parents regarding financial aid processes via walk-in appointments, phone calls, and emails.
- February 2018 to Present: Social media brand ambassador for online shoe company BANGS Shoes whose profits help people start businesses in the USA + around the world.
Tess McRae (class ’21)
- Spring 2020, UMBC Study Abroad Ambassador from Brighton University, Brighton, England. Her responsibilities included capturing the trip through photos, maintaining a blog about the study abroad experience, and creating content for UMBC’s Instagram account, @umbclife.
- Spring 2018 to Spring 2019, commonvision, UMBC’s Print and Design Center. As a graphic designer, Tess created a wide variety of unique promotional material for organizations and departments on campus.
- Fall 2018, Introduction to an Honors University Program. Tess served as a peer facilitator to first year UMBC students.
Madeline Arbutus (class ’22)
- Fall 2020: Spring 2021: Curatorial Assistant at the Center for Art, Design and Visual Culture, UMBC, Baltimore, Maryland
- Spring 2021: Research Assistant for Curator Margaret Re’s exhibition, A Designed Life, UMBC, Baltimore, Maryland
- Fall 2018-present: Production Manager and Circulation Chief at UMBC’s student-led newspaper, The Retriever
Anjelica Mansfield (class ’22)
- Fall 2018 – Fall 2020, Assistant Arts and Culture Editor for The Retriever — Wrote multiple articles reviewing theatre productions on and off-campus, oversaw the work of the Arts and Culture writers, and assisted the editor in editing and proofreading articles written and in executing the weekly writer meetings.
- Fall 2020 – Spring 2021, Reading Tutor for Amplify, Baltimore, MD. Provided three lessons per week to students in four different Baltimore City elementary schools to boost literacy skills
Avnee Sharma (class ’23)
- Fall 2020-present, Residential Life Desk Receptionist – Responsible for monitoring the security of residents and guests and supporting students by allowing room access, mail collection, and renting available items.
Lexi Smith (class ’23)
- Fall 2020, Team Leader, UMBC Honors College’s Honors Forum 100. In this role, Lexi instructed and mentored a group of first year students as they worked toward their end-of-semester group project, She also graded students’ weekly essays.
- Summer 2019, Study Abroad Ambassador, Dawg Days Abroad. From Bristol, United Kingdom, Lexi’s responsibilities included capturing the trip through photos, maintaining a blog about the study abroad experience, and creating content for UMBC’s Instagram account, @umbclife.
Sarah Nove (class ’24)
- Fall 2020: Reporter for the UMBC’s Retriever Weekly Arts and Culture section.
Isabel Taylor (class ’24)
- Fall 2020: Columnist for Opinions section of UMBC’s newspaper, The Retriever. Training to become Opinions Editor Spring of 2021.
Dillon Nesteruk (class ’24)
- Fall 2020: The Goddard School of Towson, Resource teacher. Dillon enforced Covid 19 guidelines between the parents, faculty and children, and kept all facets of the school sanitized. Supported teachers in the classroom and watched over children ages 1 to 6.
Lindsey Green (class ’20)
- Summer 2017 – Orientation Peer Advisor, Lindsey obtained the position through a lengthy group and individual interview process with the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and Orientation. Lindsey worked with a team of undergraduate students to facilitate a positive orientation experience for freshmen and transfer students. She participated in giving new students vital information and resources in order to ensure their success at UMBC.
Chelsea Johnson (class ’20)
- Fall 2016 – present, Gallery Attendant at the Center for Art Design and Visual culture.
Mairead Alexander (class ’19)
- Summer 16 – Mairead plans to give weekly violin lessons to private students at their homes, and will use individualized techniques to foster a lifelong love of the violin in students of all skill levels.
- Fall 15 – Spring 16, Mairead works at Wolfe Street Academy in Baltimore City as a Violin Teacher’s Assistant, where she teaches elementary school children to play the violin as part of the BRIDGES music program. Working with a violin teacher, she tunes instruments, provides individualized instruction during group lessons, and helps ensure that each class runs smoothly. In spring 2015, she also had the chance to substitute teach violin and viola classes, co-lead orchestra rehearsals, and help direct the BRIDGES final concerts.
Sage Burch (class ’19)
- Spring 2016 – HIST 103 Tutor
- Fall 2015 – HIST 103 Notetaker
Helena Wachhaus (class ’19)
- August 2016 – present, Script Writer for Underbyte Studios. Writing the text to go along with a Choose-your-own-adventure style iphone game. Recently was promoted from creating side quests to working on crafting the plot for the main game mode.
Austen Edelenbos (class ’19)
- Fall 2016 – present, Maintenance assistant