Humanities Scholars’ experiences at UMBC are not confined to their classes. They step outside the boundaries of the classroom and apply what they have learned within a professional environment. Some examples of these internships include:
Madeline Arbutus (class ’22)
- Summer 2019, Design and Media Intern at the Liriodendron Mansion, Bel Air, Maryland
- Summer 2020, Gallery Intern at the Center for Art, Design and Visual Culture, UMBC, Baltimore, Maryland
- Fall 2020, Arts Coordinator at OCA Mocha, Arbutus, Maryland
Danylo Leshchyshyn (class ’22)
- Summer 2020, Holy Trinity Ukrainian Catholic Church Intern, Silver Spring, MD. Danylo assisted the parish archivist by spearheading preservation projects in the parish archives. He learned how to properly catalog archival contents, restore damaged documents, clean vinyl records, and digitize various analog audio formats.
Angela Mansfield (class ’22)
- Fall 2019, Educational Programming Intern for 826DC, Washington, DC. Angela helped run after school Writing Workshops for students in the Columbia Heights neighborhood. In addition she designed posters and power points for workshops, and planned some lessons.
- Spring 2021, Multimedia Intern for RepresentWomen
Garrett Posey (class ’22)
- Fall 2020-present, Intern for Congressman David Trone, Washington, D.C. Office – Answered phones and responded to emails to resolve issues and ensure constituents felt heard, while escalating casework alongside the Congressman’s staff. Completed briefings on international security issues, unemployment updates, and the COVID-19 response. Scheduled tours of the White House for the Congressman’s constituents.
- Summer 2019, Fellow for Raskin for Congress: Democracy Summer – Developed political action skills canvassing in Virginia House of Delegates and House of Representatives races. Further research alongside other fellows allowed our group to advocate for menstrual health legislation multiple times on Capitol Hill.
Julianna Bumgardner (class ’23)
- Spring 2021, Loch Raven Review Intern – Julianna will help convert an online journal to a print format, and write her own creative nonfiction work, working with a staff member to edit and perfect it.
- Fall 2020, Bartleby: UMBC’s Media and Creative Arts Journal Social Media Coordinator – Julianna learned many ins and outs of social media market management, as well as created content to post while looking for methods to boost engagement.
Clair Volkening (class ’23)
- Fall 2020-Spring 2021, UMBC Writing Fellow. Clair works with English 100 classes to assist with peer review, editing, and research.
- Fall 2020, Poetry Editor for Bartleby: UMBC’s Media and Creative Arts Journal. Clair oversaw the meetings to select poetry for the Bartleby publication.