In addition to completing internships, humanities scholars’ also volunteer at different programs and institutions. Some examples of the humanities scholars’ volunteer work include:
Clair Volkening (class ’23)
- Fall 2019-present, New Friends of Yours club member: NFY strives to connect UMBC students to local senior living centers and nursing homes in the Catonsville/Baltimore area, and support them through in person activities.
Kristin Bechtel (class ’22)
- Spring 2021-Fall 2021, Esperanza Center ESL tutor
Angelica Mansfield (class ’22)
- Spring 2022, Cat Socialization Volunteer at BARCS. Angelica supported the efforts of BARCS animal shelter, which serves all of Baltimore, through cat socialization, general sorting, and cleaning. She also spent time volunteering at the monthly volunteer clinics and other special events.
Danylo Leshchyshyn (class ’22)
- Fall 2018, Maryland Fleet Week and Air Show, Baltimore. Danylo helped direct and guide tourists to exhibits.
Garrett Posey (class ’22)
- Fall 2018-present, UMBC’s Environmental Task Force Member – Regularly picked up trash and recyclables on and around the UMBC campus to be disposed of correctly.
Lexi Smith (class ’23)
- Spring 2021, Lori’s Hands Community Health and Service Learning. Lexi will be assisting with interviewing and editing duties on an upcoming podcast project aiming to create five-episodes about the lives and stories of Lori’s Hands clients, all of whom are living with chronic illness in Baltimore.
- Fall 2019 to Spring 2020, Reading Partners, Baltimore. Lexi served as a tutor and worked with students at Lakeland Elementary’s branch of Reading Partners. Reading Partners offers free tutoring to elementary school students struggling in reading.