In addition to completing internships, humanities scholars’ also volunteer at different programs and institutions. Some examples of the humanities scholars’ volunteer work include:
Danylo Leshchyshyn (class ’22)
- Fall 2018: Maryland Fleet Week and Air Show, Baltimore. Danylo helped direct and guide tourists to exhibits.
Garrett Posey (class ’22)
- Fall 2018-present, UMBC’s Environmental Task Force Member – Regularly picked up trash and recyclables on and around the UMBC campus to be disposed of correctly.
Lexi Smith (class ’23)
- Spring 2021, Lori’s Hands Community Health and Service Learning. Lexi will be assisting with interviewing and editing duties on an upcoming podcast project aiming to create five-episodes about the lives and stories of Lori’s Hands clients, all of whom are living with chronic illness in Baltimore.
- Fall 2019 to Spring 2020, Reading Partners, Baltimore. Lexi served as a tutor and worked with students at Lakeland Elementary’s branch of Reading Partners. Reading Partners offers free tutoring to elementary school students struggling in reading.
Clair Volkening (class ’23
- Fall 2019-Spring 2020, New Friends of Yours club. NFY strives to connect UMBC students to local senior living centers and nursing homes in the Catonsville/Baltimore area, and support them through in person activities.
Enya Carter (class ’24)
- Fall 2020 – Informal weekly tutoring in Elementary Korean